selftest and logfile output

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Thu Mar 1 18:20:20 MST 2012

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 01:12 +0100, Michael Adam wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> > > Just a heads-up.  I know you will find this infuriating, but the make
> > > test failure with debug level 10 might be a red herring.  Any output
> > > line, including from a DEBUG() starting with 'error' is counted by
> > > subunit as a failure, and so will cause an autobuild to fail.
> >
> > That sounds utterly wrong. I was already wondering why smbd was
> > not logging to the log file but to stdout (or err) in make test.
> > WHy is that? imho it should log to a log file.
>
> If the logs are put to a file, then they are essentially lost in the
> selftest system.  A developer interactively debugging the system would
> know where to look, but they will not show up in the build farm nor be
> highlighted in the results of a failing test.

Hmmm, I may be wrong, but I'd say that the log files are for
human debugging, and not for automatic test success checking.
For the latter we have exit codes And maybe messages to
stderr/out.

What exactly makes it necessary to have the log of samba parsed
by the selftest system? We could also use the syslog thresold
to have low level debug msgs intercepted by the selftest system,
if this is strictly necessary...

Just my 2cents...

Cheers - Michael