Replacing smbclient and nmblookup binaries with the source3 equivalents for the Samba4 release.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Mar 1 15:12:09 MST 2012

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 08:37:52AM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > > I'll post the patch for review once I'm done.
>
> I'll just warn that this is a bit harder than it looks at first.  My
> suggestion is to start with Kai's patch, but the issue is that the
> Samba4 tests use and expect these binaries in a few places.
>
> What we need to do first (as a separate patch) is extend the binary
> mapping in selftest/wscript to include smbclient4 and nmblookup4.  Then
> these need to be passed down into the test scripts as a parameter.
>
> Then, once the mapping system is in place, the rename is easier, as you
> only adjust wscript files (including the mapping line in
> selftest/wscript) and do not change test semantics.

Yeah, I've done lots of work on keeping the tests working.
I didn't know Kai had a patch for this, I'll ping him to
get a copy.

> Finally, we should deal with the many other duplicate testing binaries.
> I would like us to have just one smbtorture, outputting subunit, and
> avoid having multiple sources of masktest, locktest et al.

I don't care about these really, although I think we need
to keep a separate smbtorture3, as it's diverged significanly
from smbtorture4 - they really do different and complementary
things.

> I'm currently working on this.  Once ntlm_auth3 uses gensec on the
> client and server, the key functionality will be pretty much identical
> anyway.  In short I expect to essentially merge these.

Great ! I'd love to have just one ntlm_auth for Samba4,
I don't care which one so long as the scripts written
around the existing one still work.

Thanks for your help on the merge.

Jeremy.