libreplace on Linux was (Re: Changing back to per-thread credentials on Linux (fixing native AIO).)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 27 16:42:56 MDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-06-27 at 09:51 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Back in 2008 tridge noticed a lost-wakeup problem with our
> implementation using POSIX aio on Linux.

> Comments please ! I'm planning to push this
> soon if people are ok with is and I'll create
> a bug to get it back-ported for 3.6.x (and
> maybe 3.5.x) to fix the lost-wakeup issue
> with Linux glibc aio.

Jeremy,

I think you developed this under autconf, because the wscript replace
mechanism doesn't look right.  You need it to look like the snprintf
tests, where we check for behaviour, not just missing functions (because
they are not missing).

The other concern I have is that libreplace has in general been about
ensuring that the Linux interface is available everywhere, but this
isn't the Linux interface, it is a custom Samba interface being called
by the Linux name.

The distinction matters, because on Linux, we had actually got to the
point where with waf, libreplace actually became a no-op (libbsd is used
for the strl* functions).  (Jelmer was keen on this).