libreplace on Linux was (Re: Changing back to per-thread credentials on Linux (fixing native AIO).)

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jun 27 16:52:08 MDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 08:42:56AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> Jeremy,
>
> I think you developed this under autconf, because the wscript replace
> mechanism doesn't look right.  You need it to look like the snprintf
> tests, where we check for behaviour, not just missing functions (because
> they are not missing).

Nope. Was developed under waf and ported to autoconf. I don't
get what you're asking for here, as it looks (to me) like
the snprintf waf tests. Can you explain more ?

> The other concern I have is that libreplace has in general been about
> ensuring that the Linux interface is available everywhere, but this
> isn't the Linux interface, it is a custom Samba interface being called
> by the Linux name.

The main reason for putting it in libreplace is that it has to
intercept all uses of the setxx[ug]id functions. This seems to
be the natural place to add it.

I'm also hoping that we can eventually get thread-specific
credentials on *BSD and Iluminos (Solaris/Nexenta) so this
will be less of a Linux specific interface in the future.

Jeremy.