s4: homes share not working

Marc Muehlfeld Marc.Muehlfeld at medizinische-genetik.de
Tue Jun 26 07:57:40 MDT 2012

Hello,

I tried to configure a home drive for every user who log on on my samba 4
beta2 machine.

I followed https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2011-November/165113.html and
created a share

[homes]
    path = /home
    read only = no

and add \\server\homes to the users home folder entry with drive letter H: in
the AD User-Manager.

But the share is not connected on login. It just says "network name not
found". If I change the share name to anything else, I can at least access it
by \\server\sharename. But the share name "homes" doesn't work.

As I read, directory permissions are not set any more on linux but rather on
windows. For all shares, except the share named "homes", I have a tab
"security". This are the permissions of the folder on linux side:

drwxr-xr-x. 5 root root 4096 26. Jun 15:41 /home

Any idea what I did wrong?

Regards,
Marc