Blockers in Bugfix-Releases (Re: [Release Planning 3.6] Samba 3.6.6 on May 31 (was May 24)?)

Luk Claes luk at debian.org
Fri Jun 22 11:50:09 MDT 2012

Hi Karolin

On 06/22/2012 07:45 PM, Karolin Seeger wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 07:35:41AM +0200, Christian PERRIER wrote:
>> Quoting Karolin Seeger (kseeger at samba.org):
>>
>>> I don't think that this is neccessary, because
>>> a) nobody is reading release notes and
>>
>> I strongly object to that..:-)
>>
>> Release Notes are the best helpers for me to decide if I can propose
>> an update to our stable packages.
>
> that's what they are for. It's just my impression that administrators
> often don't pay attention before updating/upgrading.
>
>> Doing the same with Bugzilla is probably possible but is certainly a
>> giant PITA. And this of course makes me understand why maintaining the
>> release notes *is* a giant PITA for you, Karolin, of course..:-)
>
> Listing all open bugs in the release notes is not an option for me.
> If anyone is willing to do that, please feel free.
> That would take *a lot* of time and validation work.
>
>>> b) that is what bugzilla is for.
>>> I have no idea how long the release notes will be if I have to add each
>>> existing bug. But if all of you agree, I will have to.
>>
>> At least, having the list of bugs fixed by a given release in the
>> release notes would be helpful.
>
> I don't get what is missing right now.
> As I have already pointed out at this year's SambaXP, the release notes
> contain all older release note of the branch. So you can track down which
> bug was fixed in which release. Please clarify what should be added.

I don't think anything is missing for Christian's use case. Though it
would be a shame if the info about the fixed bugs would go away. But
that's not what others are implying I guess.

What could be useful to add is a short list of very important bugs that
were considered, but were in the end not waited for that particular release.

Cheers

Luk