Blockers in Bugfix-Releases (Re: [Release Planning 3.6] Samba 3.6.6 on May 31 (was May 24)?)

Karolin Seeger kseeger at samba.org
Fri Jun 22 12:18:11 MDT 2012

Hi Luk,

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 07:50:09PM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
> Hi Karolin
>
> On 06/22/2012 07:45 PM, Karolin Seeger wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 07:35:41AM +0200, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> >> Quoting Karolin Seeger (kseeger at samba.org):

> >> I strongly object to that..:-)
> >>
> >> Release Notes are the best helpers for me to decide if I can propose
> >> an update to our stable packages.
> >
> > that's what they are for. It's just my impression that administrators
> > often don't pay attention before updating/upgrading.
> >
> >> Doing the same with Bugzilla is probably possible but is certainly a
> >> giant PITA. And this of course makes me understand why maintaining the
> >> release notes *is* a giant PITA for you, Karolin, of course..:-)
> >
> > Listing all open bugs in the release notes is not an option for me.
> > If anyone is willing to do that, please feel free.
> > That would take *a lot* of time and validation work.

> >> At least, having the list of bugs fixed by a given release in the
> >> release notes would be helpful.
> >
> > I don't get what is missing right now.
> > As I have already pointed out at this year's SambaXP, the release notes
> > contain all older release note of the branch. So you can track down which
> > bug was fixed in which release. Please clarify what should be added.
>
> I don't think anything is missing for Christian's use case. Though it
> would be a shame if the info about the fixed bugs would go away. But
> that's not what others are implying I guess.

no, the fixed bugs won't go away, of course. The discussion is about adding a
list of known and unfixed bugs.

> What could be useful to add is a short list of very important bugs that
> were considered, but were in the end not waited for that particular release.

Please see the "Major enhancements in Samba 3.x.y include:" section
in the release notes (not available for security releases). Sometimes it's
very difficult for me to create this list, but it should be what you are
asking for. Do you agree?

Cheers,
Karolin

--