Patchset to add asynchronous open/close to master

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Jun 19 16:16:52 MDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 05:24:42PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> Actually, thinking about this as both Simo and Metze
> have complained, I will remove any references to SMB_VFS_NEXT*
> calls in the code, and call directly to the underlying
> syscalls/and or smbd code. Looking at this again there
> isn't a lot of duplication anyway, so I'm not gaining
> much.
>
> It is confusing, and is only a lazy way of doing
> the right thing - so I'll just do the right thing :-).
>
> Thanks Metze + Simo :-).

So here is the updated patchset for master.

It (hopefully) addresses Metze and Simo's concerns.

It no longer uses global variables for per-share
parameters.

It no longer allows an SMB2 create call to
be canceled.

It now checks both uid and gid in the create
race condition check.

It no longer calls any SMB_VFS_XXX_NEXT()
functions, but is always the terminator in
a VFS stack.

The last 3 patches in the set are optional,
in that they implement asynchronous close -
which is something that I know Volker is also
working on, so I'm happy to let him make a decision
on which of the two approaches he prefers.

Let me know what you think - if this passes
review I'll get these into master.

Jeremy.