S4 and BIND

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jun 10 19:22:46 MDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-06-11 at 09:18 +0800, titantoppler at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Andrew and list,
>
> Yes, creating a second DC was my intended first step in shutting down
> the original alpha12 DC (bypassing the upgrading and just provisioning
> it all over again without losing my original domain information.
>
> So to confirm, what I should be doing is:

This is the order you need:

1) Copy my zone files from my original DNS server to my second DC (dc2)
2) Run samba_upgradedns on dc2
3) Start BIND on dc2

You will need to ensure the config is in place for the samba_dlz
(dlz_bind9) module, as you will be using that.  The internal server
doesn't support secure updates yet.

Plus lots of testing.  This is just off the top of my head - slight
variation may be required, but others here should be able to help you
with that.