S4 and BIND

titantoppler at gmail.com titantoppler at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 21:19:56 MDT 2012

Hi list,

Have been trying this over the last few days, but keep getting stymied by
the samba_upgradedns script.

Recap - I'm trying to set up a proper DNS server; the one that I used
previously was set up merely by copying the zone files from my original S4
server to another server. Dynamic updates from a newly-provisioned DC did
not work

I'm attempting to set up a second DNS server on the new DC (dc2) so as not
to affect the original DNS server.

1) I copied the zone files to /usr/local/samba/private/dns/
2) I ran /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupgrade
3) It throws out the following:

Reading domain information
Looking up IPv4 addresses
Looking up IPv6 addresses
DNS accounts already exist
Reading records from zone file
/usr/local/samba/private/dns/example.local.zone
Error parsing DNS data from
'/usr/local/samba/private/dns/example.local.zone' ()
DNS records will be automatically created
DNS partitions already exist
dns-DC2 account already exists
See /usr/local/samba/private/named.conf for an example configuration
include file for BIND
and /usr/local/samba/private/named.txt for further documentation required
for secure DNS updates
Finished upgrading DNS

4) Although it says "Finished upgrading DNS", the DLZ files are nowhere to
be found in /usr/local/samba/var/lib, where they are supposed to be.

Help?

Thanks!