How to move storage OEMs to Samba 4.0 ?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jun 6 10:40:31 MDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 11:37:47AM +0200, Michael Adam wrote:

> Only the number? Or the build system questions?
> Or some of the architechtural changes under the hood?
>
> And as has been pointed out by Andreas, entrerprise distributors
> also have to keep the latest stable release active for a while
> and hence suffer from a similar problem.
>
> It have traditionally been the distributors and the storage
> product vendors (aka OEMs) that have been doing the work
> of backporting features and maintaining a set of backport
> patches on top of a stable release. Partly with the help or
> in personae of some of us, but not officially maintained
> as a backport release by the samba team.

Well that's what I'm saying. Rather than keeping it in
specific SerNet repositories, maybe we should move
those patchsets into the v3-6-test tree, until most
of our major OEMs have moved to 4.0.x.

Note I think this will happen (the move) sooner
than usual due to the compelling features of
SMB3.0.

Jeremy.