Setting up local DNS on a member DC -- solved.

Charles Tryon charles.tryon at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 09:03:23 MDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Charles Tryon <charles.tryon at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2012-06-04 at 18:02 -0400, Charles Tryon wrote:
>> > I have to admit I haven't been following this thread too closely
>> because I
>> > was headed in a different direction with my S4 server, but my
>> requirements
>> > have just changed...  :-P
>> >
>> > I am testing joining a Samba4 DC to an existing WS2003 domain
>> controller.
>> >  I am actually contacting the Windows DC over a VPN.  Following the
>> > Samba4/HOWTO/Join_a_domain_as_a_DC page, I have (apparently)
>> successfully
>> > joined the domain with my local server, and I am currently trying to
>> see if
>> > I can join a machine to the new domain (or at least see users and groups
>> > from the domain).
>> >
>> > The one thing that isn't very clear from the HOWTO is what to do to set
>> up
>> > DNS on the new S4 server.  I tried to use the upgradedns tool, but I'm
>> > getting a strange error:
>> >
>> > sudo /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_upgradedns  --verbose
>> > --realm=mydomain.local -Uadministrator
>> > [sudo] password for ctryon:
>> > Reading domain information
>> > Cannot create AD based DNS for OS level < 2003
>> >
>> > What am I missing here???
>>
>> Application partitions (which is what we store the DNS in) require
>> windows 2003 functional level.  We decided not to also support the
>> windows 2000 level layout, which is different.
>>

> So, is this the functional level of the Windows AD server I am connecting
> to, or something in the way that I created the Samba4 server?   (Sorry, I'm
> really not that clear on how the WS2K3 server was set up, or even how to
> figure out its settings...:-P )

  Nevermind...  I just figured it out myself.  The W2K3 server I'm
connecting to was set up at a functional level of "Windows 2000 mixed",
which it appears is causing the problem.  (Who would have ever thought that
working on Samba would be one of the major motivators for teaching me more
about how to manage Windows? :-P )

--
    Charles Tryon