Samba4: wide links and unix extensions

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Fri Jul 6 11:48:49 MDT 2012

On 06/07/12 18:40, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 06:26:37PM +0200, steve wrote:
>> All my home directories are symlinks from a share to the real data.
>>
>> I need wide links for windows clients to follow symlinks. To do
>> that, I must have
>> wide links = Yes
>> unix extensions = No
>>
>> This means that if I mount the share on a Linux clients, none of the
>> acl's are correct.
>>
>> I've seen bugzillas that were resolved on the same topic, but from
>> 2010 and not with S4.
>>
>> Can we/do we plan to be able to have both server and client working
>> side to enable:
>> wide links = Yes
>> _and_
>> unix extensions = Yes
> Is there a particular reason you're using symbol links rather than
> e.g. a bind mount for your home directory?
>
> The consequence of disabling symbolic link support even when unix
> extensions are enabled (which is what you're asking) would also be that
> Linux clients wouldn't be able to create symbolic links on the share.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jelmer

Hi Jelmer
We aren't bothered about Linux clients creating more symlinks in the
share. We only want the admin to do that.

The symlinks in the home share point at different folders.

the home folder is:
  /home2/usuarios
the share is:
  [usuarios]
path = /home2/usuarios
read only  No

The share contains symlinks to where the real home folders are e.g.
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Jul  5 17:47 steve2 -> /home2/staff/steve2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 Jul  4 13:07 stephen ->
/home2/students/year7/7a/stephen

IOW staff have their home folder in /home2/staff, students in
/home2/students

/home2/usuarios is just a pool of symlinks.

The ldap directory looks like this:
unixHomeDirectory: /home2/usuarios/steve2
homeDrive: Z:
homeDirectory: \\server\usuarios\steve2

It works OK with NFS for Linux clients and cifs for windows but there is
the odd share where we'd like to use cifs for both.

Is here any way around this?
Cheers,
Steve