Samba4: wide links and unix extensions

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Fri Jul 6 10:40:26 MDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 06:26:37PM +0200, steve wrote:
> All my home directories are symlinks from a share to the real data.
>
> I need wide links for windows clients to follow symlinks. To do
> that, I must have
> wide links = Yes
> unix extensions = No
>
> This means that if I mount the share on a Linux clients, none of the
> acl's are correct.
>
> I've seen bugzillas that were resolved on the same topic, but from
> 2010 and not with S4.
>
> Can we/do we plan to be able to have both server and client working
> side to enable:
> wide links = Yes
> _and_
> unix extensions = Yes
Is there a particular reason you're using symbol links rather than
e.g. a bind mount for your home directory?

The consequence of disabling symbolic link support even when unix
extensions are enabled (which is what you're asking) would also be that
Linux clients wouldn't be able to create symbolic links on the share.

Cheers,

Jelmer