Please help with samba 3.6 build

Ira Cooper samba at ira.wakeful.net
Tue Jan 31 08:18:17 MST 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Jiri Sasek <jiri.sasek at oracle.com> wrote:

Samba is bundled to Solaris distro so no other than default packages are
> not allowed to build.
>
> Currently I build on x86 by different compiler (gcc) than on SPARC because
> there was (most probably) some structure alignment and "net ads join" does
> not working on S11-x86. Studio CC can avoid a big performance drop on SPARC.

No problem here.  I actually end up building 64bit on gcc for various
reasons, mainly it is the easiest way to get all my libraries to agree ;).

>> That said, the configure script is in source3.
>>

> As can be seen in Makefile in the link below everything was working (in
> source3) before 3.6.x. Currently the make target "everything" try to
> compile smbtorture4 which fail as unconfigured at this moment :-(
>
> Which targets are you building?

I use the default one, all, then make install after it to put it all into
place.  (I'm not sure how you handle packaging.)

 I use something similar to:

>> ./configure --with-winbind --with-aio-support --with-ads
>> --with-configdir=/etc/samba --with-static-modules=vfs_**zfsacl
>> --with-profiling-data --with-sendfile-support --with-acl-support
>> --with-syslog
>>
>> I've been working with a similar script since before 3.5.  (the exact
>> static modules and other bits change.  But the basics stay the same.)
>>
>> vfs_zfsacl being static is probably historic, but I see little reason to
>> change it at the moment given that we always load it anyway.
>>

> vfs_zfsacl was intended to be dynamic to be able to switch between shares
> on ufs ("solarisacl" static module) and zfs  ...but I can understand the
> ufs is not interesting use-case for you on Illumos kernel  :-)

Yeah, we don't have any UFS left in our environment.  I'd consider it a
"regression" at this point ;-).

-Ira