[list ettiqute] Improving list subjects regarding commits

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Feb 10 15:04:08 MST 2012

(trying again, I expressed my proposal very poorly initially)

I've noticed that quite often in response to commit e-mails, that we (me
included) often simply reply to the commit message generated by git.
This message has a very generic title, '[SCM] Samba Shared Repository -
branch ...' that does not tell the reader very much about the commit.

In contrast, we go to great effort to title our commits with short,
relevant titles and an even shorter prefix.

As our replies often relate to only one commit in an autobuild, I would
like to encourage list members to to use commit titles as 'Subject:'
headers in follow up replies about commits posted to samba-technical.
(I and a few others try to do this).

This would not only helps those reading the list in real time to know if
a mail is important to them right away, but is really helpful when
browsing the archives looking for a past discussion.

As an additional proposal, and to help (at least) me to do this every
time, I wondered about using the mailman 'spam filter' functionality to
moderate messages that appear to be simple replies, eg matching exactly
'^Re: [SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch'.

What do others think?

Thanks,