/usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd broken?

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 03:46:06 MDT 2012

On 2012-08-30 10:55, Rowland Penny wrote:
(now with samba-technical on CC again, sorry for the repost Rowland)

Hi Rowland,

I just wanted to make sure that you're not running the winbind service
included in the 'samba' binary, as that's very different and doesn't
support many of the idmapping options the 'winbindd' binary provides.

> Stop me if I am wrong, but as far as I am aware, winbind is supposed to
> pull the posix info from the server database. If this is so, then
> /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd is broken, as I only get the non-posix
> info i.e. it does not work like S3 winbind.

The interesting question would be finding out what is different. The
code in winbindd from the "master" branch (which is what people here
keep calling S4) should be pretty similar to the code from the 3.6
release branch.

Now, to get a clearer view of your setup, I take it that you're using
nss_winbind, right?

You said you were having issues joining the AD from the client. It's
probably worth starting to debug that.

As far as I see,
rowland:*:1105:1103:rowland:/home/HOME/rowland:/bin/bash
means that winbind is in fact mapping the user, it's just falling back
to the default entry instead of using the AD information. This looks
like there's some issue in the client<->AD trusts.
On the s4 client, can you recheck if the 'net' binary you're calling is
the one you compiled? I've had two net binaries installed once and all
my machine keys ended up in the wrong database.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin