/usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd broken?

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Thu Aug 30 04:14:19 MDT 2012

On 30/08/12 10:46, Kai Blin wrote:
> On 2012-08-30 10:55, Rowland Penny wrote:
> (now with samba-technical on CC again, sorry for the repost Rowland)
>
> Hi Rowland,
>
> I just wanted to make sure that you're not running the winbind service
> included in the 'samba' binary, as that's very different and doesn't
> support many of the idmapping options the 'winbindd' binary provides.
>
>> Stop me if I am wrong, but as far as I am aware, winbind is supposed to
>> pull the posix info from the server database. If this is so, then
>> /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd is broken, as I only get the non-posix
>> info i.e. it does not work like S3 winbind.
> The interesting question would be finding out what is different. The
> code in winbindd from the "master" branch (which is what people here
> keep calling S4) should be pretty similar to the code from the 3.6
> release branch.
>
> Now, to get a clearer view of your setup, I take it that you're using
> nss_winbind, right?

If you mean, have I created the symlink from /lib/libnss_winbind.so.2 to
/usr/local/samba/lib/libnss_winbind.so.2 and added winbind to
/etc/nsswitch.conf, then yes.

> You said you were having issues joining the AD from the client. It's
> probably worth starting to debug that.

I was only having trouble joining when I tried out something Steve
suggested, joining is normally no trouble.

> As far as I see,
> rowland:*:1105:1103:rowland:/home/HOME/rowland:/bin/bash
> means that winbind is in fact mapping the user, it's just falling back
> to the default entry instead of using the AD information. This looks
> like there's some issue in the client<->AD trusts.
> On the s4 client, can you recheck if the 'net' binary you're calling is
> the one you compiled? I've had two net binaries installed once and all
> my machine keys ended up in the wrong database.
>
> Cheers,
> Kai

which net
/usr/local/samba/bin/net

/usr/local/samba/bin/net -V
Version 4.0.0beta8-GIT-e39cce4

net -V
Version 4.0.0beta8-GIT-e39cce4

I have also checked every dir in my path, and it is only installed once.
I removed all traces of S3 before
compiling S4.

Thanks for the help.

Rowland