Alpha 17 to Beta 7 upgrade failure

Mark Rutherford mark at lowcountrybilling.com
Mon Aug 27 23:12:08 MDT 2012

Greetings everyone,

I decided I had better start upgrading some things before I fall too far
behind but I am wondering if my upgrade
method is at fault.
This install has been around since one of the early alphas (I think 13?)
and I have been upgrading it as we go.
I wonder if there isn't some cruft lying around in there.

What I have done in the past is compile s4 and install it over the top
of what is already there.
I did that this time and running it from the shell (samba -i -M single)
results in one of these...

INTERNAL ERROR: Signal 11 in pid 14345 (4.0.0beta7)
Please read the Trouble-Shooting section of the Samba HOWTO
PANIC: internal error
Aborted

So, the question is whether or not my upgrade method is sound for starters?
Second thing that is interesting is that if I run it without parameters
it will actually stay running but log
these crashes instead.
The server is also unreachable when this occurs - although it is running.

Thanks for any tips guys.