Alpha 17 to Beta 7 upgrade failure

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Aug 27 23:28:06 MDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-08-28 at 01:12 -0400, Mark Rutherford wrote:
> Greetings everyone,
>
> I decided I had better start upgrading some things before I fall too far
> behind but I am wondering if my upgrade
> method is at fault.
> This install has been around since one of the early alphas (I think 13?)
> and I have been upgrading it as we go.
> I wonder if there isn't some cruft lying around in there.
>
> What I have done in the past is compile s4 and install it over the top
> of what is already there.
> I did that this time and running it from the shell (samba -i -M single)
> results in one of these...

> INTERNAL ERROR: Signal 11 in pid 14345 (4.0.0beta7)
> Please read the Trouble-Shooting section of the Samba HOWTO
> PANIC: internal error
> Aborted
>

> So, the question is whether or not my upgrade method is sound for starters?
> Second thing that is interesting is that if I run it without parameters
> it will actually stay running but log
> these crashes instead.
> The server is also unreachable when this occurs - although it is running.

Ensure you have removed any old binaries and shared libraries from

If it still faults, please run under gdb (gdb --args samba -i -M single)
and get me a backtrace (bt full).

Then, get a backup and on that run, run 'samba-tool dbcheck -H
path/to/sam.ldb --cross-ncs --fix' (or let me know what errors that
gives).

We have actually got an alpha13 provision that we test dbcheck on, so it
it reasonable to expect that to run.