Confused about samba4 & s3fs

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sat Aug 18 09:26:52 MDT 2012

>> Does this mean that you can use nmbd,smbd and winbindd on the samba4
>> server or not?
>
> You can, but it will not be an AD domain controller.  Remember that
> Samba 4.0 is also the next release after Samba 3.6, and so it does
> everything that release does as well.

Hi Andrew

I'm running the samba binary on the DC. It acts as an AD domain
controller and a (rather good) fileserver. I've no idea what nmbd does.
Without doing anything apart from adding the links to /lib and
lib/security for PAM, and adding winbind to /etc/etc/nsswitch, winbind
also fires up OK on the DC.

I came into the list around Nov. 2011. Alpha 18 I think it was.

IOW, I can use smbd and winbind on a Samba4 DC and it still acts as both
a DC and a file server.

But you seem to be saying that it can't. . .

Cheers,
Steve