Confused about samba4 & s3fs

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Aug 18 02:06:09 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-08-16 at 21:23 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:

> >> Slightly less confused now, as far as I can see, this means that we
> >> should be running s3fs to serve files (i.e. the smbd daemon) and the
> >> samba daemon takes care of authentication.
> >>
> >> What I am confused about now is Geza's statement about nmbd, he seems
> >> to be saying that you can have the server browseable just by running
> >> the samba daemon, but I have to run the nmbd daemon for the server
> >> shares to be visible.
> >>
> >> Rowland
> >>
> > On the samba4 install the samba binary listens on the port (137/udp
> > and 138/udp) nmbd would listen on a samba3 install, however the samba4
> > implementation doesn't offer browsing support (yet). Because of that
> > you can't run nmbd on the host where you run samba4 (unless you employ
> > tricky virtual interfaces and bind interfaces only configurations).
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Geza Gemes
> >

> well you have got me really confused now, you say that you can't run
> nmbd on the samba4 host without pulling tricks. Well because I don't
> know better, I just started the nmbd daemon on the samba4 server and I
> can now browse to the visible shares from windows xp and linux clients,
> just what am I doing wrong ;-)

If you run nmbd on a Samba4 DC, then nmbd won't know how to pass on the
NETLOGON datagram packets to the cldap server, unless specially
configured with 'cldap proxy'.  Even then, the source IP address is lost
due to the proxy, which will break sites support.

Also, you have to turn off the nbt server in 'samba', otherwise when I
fix it to correctly die when a port is in use, samba won't start.