Confused about samba4 & s3fs

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Sat Aug 18 03:46:25 MDT 2012

On 18/08/12 09:06, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> If you run nmbd on a Samba4 DC, then nmbd won't know how to pass on the
> NETLOGON datagram packets to the cldap server, unless specially
> configured with 'cldap proxy'.  Even then, the source IP address is lost
> due to the proxy, which will break sites support.
>
> Also, you have to turn off the nbt server in 'samba', otherwise when I
> fix it to correctly die when a port is in use, samba won't start.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Is any of the above documented anywhere, if it is, I must have missed it.

So, from what I have read on the Samba forums about Samba4:

A) do not use s3fs -- it is not ready yet
B) do not use nmbd -- again it is not ready yet
C) only use ntvfs if you are upgrading -- it is outdated

Bearing this in mind and as a user, I do not think this software is
anywhere near RC status, mind you, this is just my opinion.

Rowland

believed to be clean.