Releasing Samba 4.0 RC1?

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Fri Aug 17 07:00:06 MDT 2012

Hi Juan,

> First my apologies as I know this threat is not for users, but I just
> wanted to add an "outside" point of view.
 >
> You are doing a great job with samba4 and us, the users, are eager to
> use it in our production environments, but I think that you shouldn't
> rush to the RC before having fixed some mayor (at my point of view)
> features as many users will be encouraged to get samba running and they
> may disappoint after having issues or even corruption of their
> production environments.

a sysadmin ought to read the release notes before deployement. Otherwise
he should stick to the "buy and click" kind of software so he may
harrass some tech support when he will have screwed up his network.

I have been using samba4 in non-critical production environement for a
year (3 primary schools, 2 libraries, 3 SMBs, total around 90 windows
workstations) with only a few minor hiccups.

And with the project going forward, everything is going so smoothly now
that one can get an AD setup by just typing apt-get samba4, modifying 2
files and lauching one command line...

Proposing an infrastructure with software that is tagged as "Beta" is
not an easy sale, even if stability is well tested and rock solid in
simple target setup (no replication, no forest, etc.). I'm eager to see
this great samba4 project going to RC then to Release so that it becomes
and easy sell for SMBs and then larger networks.

Granted I always setup a separate samba3 member server for file and
print service, but in a world where virtualisation is ubiquitous, it
should not make a sysadmin afraid (at least not the sysadmin that would
deploy an AD).

Cheers,

Denis

--