Querying DNS info samba4

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 08:39:02 MDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 5:35 AM, Greg Dickie <greg at justaguy.ca> wrote:
> Hi Amitay,
>
>  I think I may have figured this out. My AD started out as a 2003 SBS
> system so the schemas are a bit different. Looking in the rpcdce code
> for DNS I see that dnsserver_init_serverinfo
> (rpc_server/dnsserver/dnsutils.c ) is called and starts looking for
>
> CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,...,
>
> My schema does not have that, the closest I could find is something that
> looks like this:
>
> dn:
> DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=example.local,CN=MicrosoftDNS,CN=System,DC=example,DC=local
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: dnsNode
> instanceType: 4
> whenCreated: 20060831201837.0Z
> uSNCreated: 8166
> showInAdvancedViewOnly: TRUE
> name: DomainDnsZones
> objectGUID: aee468f7-e2bd-457d-b15d-63572897fe62
> objectCategory:
> CN=Dns-Node,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=example,DC=local
> dNSTombstoned: FALSE
> dc: DomainDnsZones
> whenChanged: 20120424001126.0Z
> uSNChanged: 9014
> dnsRecord:: BAABAAXwAABa3QYAAAACWAAAAADgAzcAwKipCw==
> dnsRecord:: BAABAAXwAABa3QYAAAACWAAAAAC0aDYAwKhCAQ==
> dnsRecord:: BAABAAXwAABa3QYAAAACWAAAAAC0aDYAwKhYAQ==
> distinguishedName:
> DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=example.local,CN=MicrosoftDNS,CN=Sy
>  stem,DC=example,DC=local
>

> So my question is shouldn't I get a different error or some other indication that samba doesn't
> handle the schema? As a followup, should samba handle the schema? The client can talk to the SBS server just fine.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Hi Greg,

The older versions of window server (2003 and older) created the DNS
containers under CN=System in the domain partition, whereas the newer
windows server (2008+) creates separate application partitions for
DNS. DNS RPC server uses DNS partitions to store the DNS zone
information. But for querying purposes, dlz_bind9 module and internal
DNS server both can read records from CN=System in domain partition.
DNS RPC server can be easily modified to support CN=System for DNS
information. Patches are welcome! ;-)

Amitay.