Querying DNS info samba4

Greg Dickie greg at justaguy.ca
Tue Apr 24 13:35:54 MDT 2012

Hi Amitay,

  I think I may have figured this out. My AD started out as a 2003 SBS
system so the schemas are a bit different. Looking in the rpcdce code
for DNS I see that dnsserver_init_serverinfo
(rpc_server/dnsserver/dnsutils.c ) is called and starts looking for

CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,...,

My schema does not have that, the closest I could find is something that
looks like this:

dn:
DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=example.local,CN=MicrosoftDNS,CN=System,DC=example,DC=local
objectClass: top
objectClass: dnsNode
instanceType: 4
whenCreated: 20060831201837.0Z
uSNCreated: 8166
showInAdvancedViewOnly: TRUE
name: DomainDnsZones
objectGUID: aee468f7-e2bd-457d-b15d-63572897fe62
objectCategory:
CN=Dns-Node,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=example,DC=local
dNSTombstoned: FALSE
dc: DomainDnsZones
whenChanged: 20120424001126.0Z
uSNChanged: 9014
dnsRecord:: BAABAAXwAABa3QYAAAACWAAAAADgAzcAwKipCw==
dnsRecord:: BAABAAXwAABa3QYAAAACWAAAAAC0aDYAwKhCAQ==
dnsRecord:: BAABAAXwAABa3QYAAAACWAAAAAC0aDYAwKhYAQ==
distinguishedName:
DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=example.local,CN=MicrosoftDNS,CN=Sy
 stem,DC=example,DC=local

So my question is shouldn't I get a different error or some other indication that samba doesn't
handle the schema? As a followup, should samba handle the schema? The client can talk to the SBS server just fine.

Thanks,
Greg

--
Greg Dickie