Samba4: What does 'The Directory' mean?

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sat Apr 14 12:28:26 MDT 2012

Hi everyone

I'm the only English speaker on our team of testers over here.

When you guys refer to 'The Directory', how does that translate to a
mere mortal openSUSE user?

e.g. I add posixAccount and uidNumber to a dn under (in?)
/usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb

steve was created by samba-tool user add steve

1. Is steve in the directory?
2. is posixAccount in the directory?
3. is uidNumber in the directory?

When I invoke ldbmodify to modify the LDAP, the whole place explodes and
replicates to loadsa other db's too, not just sam.ldb.

Is this what 'the directory' is?

Can I say /usr/local/samba/private is the directory?
Is /usr/local/samba/private the directory, but not e.g. the krb5.conf
file that is created by provision?
Is there a list of files which define 'the directory'?
Is it anything that ends with ldb?

Cheers,
Steve