[RFC] Switch on tdb2 API by default?

Thu Sep 29 03:09:28 MDT 2011

Hi, Tridge!

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 06:58:56PM +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:
>  > The autoconf build is NOT deprecated for the pure Samba3
>  > file server, nmbd and winbind build and will not be
>  > deprecated for quite some time.
>
> could you clarify what you mean by 'quite some time' ? I had certainly
> hoped that we would drop the autoconf build for the 4.0 release.

Sure, if you want to build an AD DC, this won't work with
the autoconf build. But the pure file server and winbind
piece based on what is currently located under source3 needs
to be buildable with the autoconf build. I thought that we
had agreed on this many months ago.

>  > Building Samba3 on a plain stock AIX (pick your favorite platform)
>  > with any C compiler is a definite goal of Samba3 that we will keep
>  > up for very long.
>
> I really am puzzled why building python first on platforms like that
> isn't sufficient. For the particular case of AIX, we don't currently

In a customer situation where you are in a hurry to get a
new Samba build up and running it is just not an option to
first fight yourself through a python download and build. If
you are on a current Linux distro, python is very likely to
be already installed. But I regularly see systems where this
is not the case.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9