[RFC] Switch on tdb2 API by default?

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Thu Sep 29 02:58:56 MDT 2011

Hi Volker,

 > The autoconf build is NOT deprecated for the pure Samba3
 > file server, nmbd and winbind build and will not be
 > deprecated for quite some time.

could you clarify what you mean by 'quite some time' ? I had certainly
hoped that we would drop the autoconf build for the 4.0 release.

 > Building Samba3 on a plain stock AIX (pick your favorite platform)
 > with any C compiler is a definite goal of Samba3 that we will keep
 > up for very long.

I really am puzzled why building python first on platforms like that
isn't sufficient. For the particular case of AIX, we don't currently
have a working AIX box in the build farm (sernet-aix seems to have
stopped working about 5 months ago), so it is hard to demonstrate, but
I would expect that pre-building python would be a reasonable
solution.

I think there is a significant development cost in maintaining the old
autoconf build that really needs to be justified by something quite
strong. Avoiding building python from a tarball on those platforms
doesn't seem like a strong enough reason to me to keep the continued
burden of multiple build systems.

Cheers, Tridge