[RFC] Switch on tdb2 API by default?

Mon Sep 26 00:41:17 MDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 12:09:23PM +0930, Rusty Russell wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 11:11:29 +0200, Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE> wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 05:33:59PM +0930, Rusty Russell wrote:
> > > Sure I'll do it, but it feels wrong and foolish.
> >
> > To you it might. The problem is that the world is larger
> > than Linux.
>
> Please explain; Python is generally more portable than Samba, perhaps
> there are specific ports we need?  Or is it waf?
>
> > But for existing S3 uses we need autconf/make to work in the future.
>
> Why?  I think we're allowed to make their binaries smaller and their
> builds faster.
>
> On the other hand, it'd be nice to clear up some of the tangled #include
> lines in the s3 source, and make dependencies more explicit.  I'm sure
> there is other cruft I don't know which could be cleaned too...

I've been at customer places more than once with just a
plain proprietary Unix where downloading *anything* was a
major obstacle. Having to tell the customer "Sorry, we
first need to compile python" just to compile a current
Samba version is just not an option for me. If you can't
make tdb2 work in the autoconf Samba3 build, then it won't
be in the default install for that release. I would not like
it, but if it is not possible to make tdb2 work in autoconf,
then it will be a pure Samba4 thing.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9