Windows 8 can join to Samba3 domain?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Sep 23 09:42:48 MDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-23 at 20:57 +0900, TAKAHASHI Motonobu wrote:
> From: Andreas Schneider <asn at samba.org>
> Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 20:13:46 +0200
>
> > On Sunday 18 September 2011 10:47:22 TAKAHASHI Motonobu wrote:
> > > Recently I examined if Windows 8 developer preview can join to Samba3
> > > domain (I used Samba 3.5.6).
> >
> > I would be interested in a tcpdump of the join. Could you create one?
>
> Of course, yes.
>
> The screen image when joining was failed is available at:
>
> http://damedame.monyo.com/images/20110917_3.png
>
> My Samba environment (VMware VM) is available at:
>
> http://wiki.samba.gr.jp/mediawiki/index.php?title=Samba_PDC_VM%28squeeze%29#Function
>
> The Windows 8 box has 192.168.135.130.
> Samba server has 192.168.135.222.
>
> If you will need additional information, please ask me.
>
> I will send you the capture file (about 50KB) directly.
> I think there is no security-sensible information there but am not
> sure.

As I mentioned to Andreas on IRC, I'm handling this with Microsoft
directly, as I'm working with them next week at our annual AD interop.
They will get back to us when they know the official answer.

They went to great lengths to ensure that Samba 3 domains were supported
in Windows 7, so I want to give them a chance to get us an official
response before we pursue this further.  Getting them a copy of your
network trace may assist if they have trouble reproducing the situation,
but currently that hasn't been raised as a blocker.

Even if we find a way to make the join appear to work, we are asking the
question more broadly: because we want to know what else we may have
lost, such as the loss of NT system policies in Windows 7.

Thanks,