samba-tool user add name change to create patch

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Oct 26 15:26:41 MDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-26 at 14:06 -0400, Theresa Halloran wrote:
> On 10/25/2011 5:20 PM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-10-25 at 10:36 -0400, Theresa Halloran wrote:
> >
> >> Jeff,
> >> I'm new to samba and this environment but when I was looking at
> >> samba-tool and evaluating
> >> the externals, I noticed that the help on this command already says "add
> >> - create a new user".
> >> Create makes more sense to me; add sounds like it already exists and
> >> adding it to a group,
> >> for instance opposite of removemembers is addmembers.
> >>
> >> I proposed changing add to create to make it consistent with other
> >> samba-tool functions; I guess
> >> I realized that its not necessarily consistent with the net command.
> >>
> >> For now I keep add as an alias for ease with transition.
> > Let's keep things like 'net' on Samba3 and if someone can check also the
> > 'net' on windows where we can.
> I'm updating samba-tool, which I believe only effects Samba4.  Samba 3
> is unchanged.

Yes, but 'net' on windows (has anyone checked yet?) and Samba3 are
important benchmarks for our users, it sets how they expect other
commands to behave.  useradd and adduser are also long-standing commands
on unix-like systems.

I'm sorry these reference points were not raised earlier.

> > 'add' and 'create' are close enough that
> > I would rather not change it, or if we have changed it, I would like to
> > have an alias.
> I left add in the code and it still works.  I added a message saying it
> is being deprecated
> to help with migration (if its accepted)

As this is the name many system administrators will reach for, if it is
possible, I would prefer it not deprecated.