proper way to update using git?

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Wed Oct 19 01:43:03 MDT 2011

Hi Sean,

I think this dependency problem should now be fixed. The problem was the
stale file handling. A 'stale' file in a build is an old build file that
is completely unknown to the build system, but can interfere with the
build. In this case when Andrew moved some code from source4/param to
lib/param, that moved a shared library (libsamba-hostconfig.so) between
bin/default/source4/param/libsamba-hostconfig.so and
bin/default/lib/param/libsamba-hostconfig.so

The problem was that the old .so file was still in
bin/default/source4/param, and directory was included in link lines with
-L, due to other libraries in that directory being used. So we linked to
the old shared library.

Amitay and I fixed the 'stale files' logic to cope with this today, so
when build rules are changed these stale .so and .o files are
deleted. That should fix this class of dependency problem.

Cheers, Tridge