Samba3 / Samba4 migration -- question

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Oct 18 21:42:28 MDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 19:58 -0400, Zombie Ryushu wrote:

> I have a question here. This may be relevant. I thought that when
> migrating from S3 to S4, the key was to import S3's old Schema
> attributes normally used in OpenLDAP, and use S3's ldapsam backend to
> keep the S3 servers up to date with what is in S4's directory services.

No, this is not how samba3 -> Samba4 migrations will happen.  As Samba3
and Samba4 do not share a common schema, it is not possible to keep s3
servers alive once the domain has been cut over.  Samba4 similarly
cannot operate against an OpenLDAP backend, it must use the internal
LDB.

The migration script will copy over all the samba-known attributes, but
will not migrate custom schema.  We can either extend the script to
handle some common cases here, or simply suggest that administrators run
a second python script to move objects to their desired final locations
and add any additional attributes or schema.

I hope this clarifies the options available for migration,