running wintest issues

Sean Dague sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Oct 12 12:50:26 MDT 2011

On 10/05/2011 05:02 PM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>> 1) In Windows 7 Professional, it only works if you enable the disabled
>> built in Administrator account and give it a password. Any other user
>> that is in Administrators group (including the user you are prompted to
>> create on install) is not allowed to log in via telnet (that was about 2
>> days worth of discovery).
>
> Can you see if it is possible to do this via a script before telnet is
> used, so that it 'just works'?
>
>> 2) It only works in Windows 2008 if you've not changed the Shell to
>> power shell (and only use cmd.exe). That took a bit to discover.
>
> Could we start a cmd sub-shell as the first telnet command to work
> around this?

For both of these, I assume it's possible, by my scripting-fu on windows
is very low, so I'm not even sure where to start. The wintest scripts
could probably fail with better errors that might provide hints here.

>> It is also sensitive to telnet settings on the client. If those have
>> been changed because of working with other systems that needed different
>> line modes, it may no longer work.
>
> Can these be forced on the command line?

That I don't know, my experience with the telnet command is pretty
limited, as I rarely have it installed on systems any more.

There still remains the open and concrete issue that the script is
currently unrunable due to path issues. Any further idea on what the
acceptable approach is there?

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague