proper way to update using git?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Oct 11 17:04:28 MDT 2011

Hi Jeff,

On 10/12/2011 12:53 AM, Jeff Sadowski wrote:
> I realized doing a
>
> git pull;make;make install
>
> created an unusable samba binary aka it doesn't start
> so I did a
>
> git pull;make clean;./configure.developer;make;make install
>
> am I doing this right?
>
> should I be using ./configure instead of ./configure.developer?
Samba not starting isn't necessarily related to the way you're
incrementally updating. Does it work fine in a clean git clone ?
"make clean" should remove all artefacts created by the build system. If
that doesn't remove all files, you can always run "git clean -f -x -d",
which will remove *all* files in the tree that aren't versioned.

Cheers,

Jelmer