proper way to update using git?

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 17:13:48 MDT 2011

actual error was as follows in the log.samba

/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba: relocation error:
/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba: symbol load_samba_modules, version
SAMBA_HOSTCONFIG_0.0.1 not defined in file libsamba-hostconfig.so.0
with link time reference

so I thought the fastest way to fix that was to rebuild after a make
clean am I wrong?