Buildfarm build_test script on an embedded device.

Dan Shearer dan at shearer.org
Sun Oct 2 09:54:51 MDT 2011

   :
> It's still running.  It has been well over 8 hours and it's still running.

What is your ARM device?

A different question that might be relevant is "how can I make an ARM
target run fast", which is (more or less) a topic discussed recently on
the QEMU dev list[1]. This refers to the 'system' emulation mode of
QEMU.  One paper referred to calculates that an x86 host of 2GHz will be
faster than a real ARM board (lots of if's and but's here). I would add
to this that depending where the bottlenecks are you can perform some
tricks such as running disk out of an undelying ramdisk, increasing RAM
beyond what an ARM target would normally have and using passthrough drivers.

Intensive CPU loads will run slowly on QEMU, and floating point worse.

--
Dan Shearer
dan at shearer.org

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/qemu-devel@nongnu.org/msg76732.html