ZFS snapshots readable over samba - Permission

Bodo Kaiser kyogron at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 1 02:14:56 MDT 2011

Hi,

I am using the latest FreeBSD Release and I have a ZFS datastorage.

Now I had the idea to share the daily snapshots via softlink over samba, so
if there is a problem with an file I easily can skip back to a snapshot and
restore this file.

And here is the issue: The ZFS snapshot dir "/usr/home/.zfs/snapshot/" is
owned by root:wheel even I have access over terminal to the snaps with a
normal user account. I can't access over syslinks with samba or similar. My
question is now, how I solve this issue and how I make the snaps best
reachable for each user in there home-dir.

Regards