To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Nov 30 15:52:28 MST 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 11:39:01PM +0100, Kai Blin wrote:
> The conflicting interests in this discussion I see are:
>
> Release the AD code soon
> vs.
> We need to ship with a file server that can do at least as much as smbd.
>
> My proposal was a compromise between those by suggesting to tackle
> these things one at a time, but that doesn't seem to be acceptable. We
> don't seem to have the manpower to do the integration in a reasonable
> time frame. So what is your suggestion we should do?
>
> If you tell people to delay the release of the AD code until the file
> server is integrated, it's only fair to then spend the time working on
> integrating the file server, not on doing more of smb2.x.
>
> So, what's our plan to proceed with this?

The problem has been a disagreement on how to proceed
with the integration. If we finally have an agreement
on that then we should be able to move ahead quite
rapidly with integrating the file server into the AD
server (that was demonstrated some time ago, we've
just been paralyzed by indecision on which avenue
to chose).

Jeremy.