To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Tue Nov 29 14:29:14 MST 2011

Hi Jeremy,

> I'm not saying delete the ntvfs/ code, just that we should
> never ship a 4.0 with that code enabled. This is too big
> a job for our small team.

I have maintained that code for the last several years. I don't expect
that to change.

I don't expect us to enable it by default for the release, but I also
don't want to do anything that deliberately breaks it. So I expect to
keep verifying that it works in autobuild.

This is the file server that all of our current Samba4 AD users have
been using. I think it is reasonable to keep that file server at least
as an option for those sites.

If you or anyone else doesn't want to help with maintainence on that
code then that's fine, but I do want to keep it working, so I'm happy to
continue maintaining it as needed. It is not a big job to maintain as it
has been stable and working well for years. It has been the primary file
server I use at home for at least 4 years. The only patches it has
needed recently are trivial function renames to cope with some of the
merge work that has gone on elsewhere in Samba.

Apart from all the other reasons I've cited in my last email, it also
makes debugging complex AD environments much easier. I know you are used
to the problems of using gdb with multiple processes in Samba3, but for
me at least being able to have all of Samba in one gdb session and being
able to set arbitrary breakpoints anywhere in the stack is a huge
advantage when tracking down complex problems. So I expect that in some
situations I'll enable the ntvfs server on my development box when
trying to debug complex problems.

The modular nature of the bin/samba daemon means that maintaining two
instances of any one module is very easy. The ntvfs file server is a
module that only gets activated if you ask for it. The default would be
to load the s3fs module, which loads the smbd file server.

Cheers, Tridge