To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Nov 29 11:34:30 MST 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 04:39:01PM +1100, Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> In past discussions I tried to make it clear that I didn't want the
> ntvfs/ code to be deleted, only that the default should be the s3 smbd
> one.

Unfortunately this gives us two components that need to be
supported and maintained, and for the file server this is
too big a job.

We need to convert to SMB2 asap, and focus all our efforts
on one code base. Like it or not, the s3 file server code
is that code base.

Trying to maintain two file servers is not a viable path
for the project.

I'm not saying delete the ntvfs/ code, just that we should
never ship a 4.0 with that code enabled. This is too big
a job for our small team.

Jeremy.