To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Andreas Schneider asn at cryptomilk.org
Fri Nov 25 01:21:33 MST 2011

On Friday 25 November 2011 14:04:11 you wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-11-24 at 10:12 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> > Hey Jeremy,
> >
> > this stuff got a lot of love recently. With the endpoint mapper deamon
> > and the LSA service daemon we improved the named pipe proxy handling
> > and fixed remaining bugs. We also test this stuff in autobuild.
> > spoolssd and lsasd are enabled in 'make test' to make sure we don't
> > break anything here.
> >
> > We still think this is best approch to get smbd as fileserver in S4.
>
> Andreas,

Hi Andrew,

> I'm just wanting to double-check, as this thread has too much potential
> for miscommunication and misunderstanding:  I think you saying that the
> experience of building the forked endpoint mapper, lsa and spoolss
> deamon in Samba 3.x gives you much more confidence in the named pipe
> handling.  If I understand you correctly, your view is therefore that
> you feel that this particular, critical component of any smbd/AD
> integration is mature?

the named pipe proxy is working very well. It is tested, we have experience
with it and I think this is a good way to do the plumbing to get smbd into AD.

> Or, are you proposing a wider change to the AD architecture that is
> currently in place, such as using your s3 epmd and the s3 lsa server in
> the DC?

No, I don't, but the endpoint mapper is something we need to talk about sooner
or later.

Cheers,

	-- andreas

--
Andreas Schneider                   GPG-ID: F33E3FC6
Samba Team                             asn at samba.org
www.samba.org