To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Nov 24 20:04:11 MST 2011

On Thu, 2011-11-24 at 10:12 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Hey Jeremy,
>
> this stuff got a lot of love recently. With the endpoint mapper deamon and the
> LSA service daemon we improved the named pipe proxy handling and fixed
> remaining bugs. We also test this stuff in autobuild. spoolssd and lsasd are
> enabled in 'make test' to make sure we don't break anything here.
>
> We still think this is best approch to get smbd as fileserver in S4.

Andreas,

I'm just wanting to double-check, as this thread has too much potential
for miscommunication and misunderstanding:  I think you saying that the
experience of building the forked endpoint mapper, lsa and spoolss
deamon in Samba 3.x gives you much more confidence in the named pipe
handling.  If I understand you correctly, your view is therefore that
you feel that this particular, critical component of any smbd/AD
integration is mature?

Or, are you proposing a wider change to the AD architecture that is
currently in place, such as using your s3 epmd and the s3 lsa server in
the DC?

Thanks,