To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

simo idra at samba.org
Wed Nov 23 14:23:23 MST 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 17:13 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> What do others think?

I think this plan makes no sense.

Dropping an alpha release on the floor and slapping the "stable" sticker
on it is not what our users expect.

I no way the waf build is currently usable in production for the file
server part.

Many have chimed here so I will not repeat all the very sane points made
by a great number of people, please listen to them and do not just
dismiss their concern. They may be related to specific issues that may
look minor to you. But I assure you they are definitely not.

We are the people that will have to *support* whatever is dropped out
there. And we want to be comfortable we *can* do that job. We currently
can't without still great pains.

Any regressions in the build system or in the file server functionality
is not acceptable. Half assed daemons like samba4's winbindd are not
acceptable in my book.

Please work (as you promised and we all agreed since 2 years now) on
eliminating by integrating all duplicated functionality in the trees.
Once that is done we will be close to something we can call a *stable*
release.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce