Joining W2k AD domain

Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer mdw at samba.org
Wed Nov 9 02:15:48 MST 2011

Hi Dave & Andrew,

I have found a fix for your first issue. The error information level has
not been checked at all so the wrong information fields have been
accessed if we were on level 2:
http://gitweb.samba.org/samba.git/?p=mdw/samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=53dfb4592997e9c1fb874e77de227c34a645ac55

The second issue seems strange since also Windows 2000 should support
password sets over the "unicodePwd" attribute. The syntax should be okay
(the "sambd.setpassword" call) since we have performed various tests
against Windows Server (2003, 2008, 2008R2). Here a link to the MS-ADTS
guide describing this circumstance:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc223248(v=PROT.10).aspx.

Might the following constraint be the source of the problem?
> Microsoft Windows® 2000 operating system servers require that the
> client have a 128-bit (or better) SSL/TLS-encrypted connection to the
> DC
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/b645c125-a7da-4097-84a1-2fa7cea07714%28v=PROT.10%29#domain_controller>
> in order to modify this attribute. (unicodePwd)
If yes, couldn't we try to perform the password set directly on the
entry-add operation?

Matthias