WAF using system versions instead of in tree versions

Sean Dague sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Nov 3 09:54:22 MDT 2011

I ran into some very bizarre breaks in my test tree yesterday, which
were driving me nuts, until I realized what was going on.

I had run: apt-get build-dep samba4 on Ubuntu 11.10 as a shortcut to
make sure I had all the right header files to build required bits. This
brought in packaged versions of libtalloc-dev, libtevent-dev, and
python-subunit.

Even though WAF correctly identified talloc and tevent as too old in the
configure stage, it still attempted to use them in the link stage.

Also when trying to run "make test", the existence of system level
python-subunit made the loader for the tests not find them (i.e. "make
test TEST=samba.tests.X.Y" would fail with a "module does not contain Y"
error)

Removing this packages meant the build system worked fine again, but
long term it would be worth making the build work even if other
libraries were installed on the system.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague