Reduce duplicate symbols, merge server_id

Tue May 3 00:05:00 MDT 2011

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 09:05:31AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> No, the server_id in source3 and source4 represent exactly the same
> concept, as is to be expected as they were originally derived from each
> other.  Furthermore, the notify code relies on server_id, and the notify
> ndr functions are also in duplicate (the Samba3 notify.idl is a
> superset), so the least disruptive course of action is to bring these
> structures in common.
>
> Furthermore, interprocess messaging will be a very important part of any
> future combined Samba 4.0.
>
> Perhaps there is technical issue with the merged structure I'm not aware
> of?

If they serve the exect same purpose, why do we need to add
structure elements that the respective opposite code does
not use? What functional requirement is there for the id2
field that can not be fulfilled by the unique_id field?

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9