Reduce duplicate symbols, merge server_id

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon May 2 17:05:31 MDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 15:32 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 10:42:41PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > In my merge-test branch I have some changes to bring down the duplicate
> > symbol count in the top level build.
> >
> > http://git.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/merge-test
> >
> > Ronnie, in particular I would like your comment on:
> >
> > s3-server_id Add id2 to server_id to match Samba4
> > http://git.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=commitdiff;h=b7d019d745b015154085b1f16db6c7269bc4d61d
>
> I think it would be better to rename "struct server_id" in
> either implementation. The purpose just seems different.

No, the server_id in source3 and source4 represent exactly the same
concept, as is to be expected as they were originally derived from each
other.  Furthermore, the notify code relies on server_id, and the notify
ndr functions are also in duplicate (the Samba3 notify.idl is a
superset), so the least disruptive course of action is to bring these
structures in common.

Furthermore, interprocess messaging will be a very important part of any
future combined Samba 4.0.

Perhaps there is technical issue with the merged structure I'm not aware
of?

As to the messaging functions, I will investigate creating a common
messaging system, but here a rename seems likely in the short term.