samba4, samba-tool command

Theresa Halloran thallora at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon May 2 18:20:53 MDT 2011

Hi all,

My name is Theresa and I'm new to samba development!  I work in
Poughkeepsie NY at IBM and am new to linux as well, although I did work
on linux tooling several years ago for linux on z/series.

I started looking around samba 4 for places where I might be able to
help out, with assistance from Tridge and Steve French.  The samba-tool
command seems like an area where some work is needed and I think I can
contribute.  One thing I've noticed is that there doesn't seem to be a
consistent format for command syntax and sub-commands.  That makes it
difficult to use, especially for someone like me, who is new to the
product and learning samba.

I put together a wiki page:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba-tool-external

This wiki page has two tables.  The first, documents the commands that
are currently implemented in samba 4, their syntax (its not 100%
complete, but close)...The second table has proposals for changes to
existing commands that hopefully will make samba-tool more usable.  ...
I'll be filling in the second table and the wiki page with many more
details as I go along, make decisions and start to think about the
specific implementation changes needed to improve samba-tool.

I'm also hoping to learn from and get input from all of you samba
experts!!  If you are interested, please take a look at the wiki page I
put together and give me input / opinions / advice on how you might like
to see the samba-tool evolve and improve.  I look forward to hearing
from you all.

Thanks,  Theresa Halloran